Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Ambitious

In just five days we will be hosting Eva and Kaitlyn's third birthday party at our home. We've got some serious goals that we wish achieve in the next few days.


First we've got to clean the whole house, top to bottom. Part of our house is always clean but all of it is never clean at the same time, for their party I would like all parts to come together in beautiful clean harmony. We've got things all across the house that need touched up with paint, carpets that need scrubbed, toys box bins that need built (preparing the fields for rain), couches that need moved, bookshelves dismantled and books relocated, things need trashed, and the list goes on.




In the last week we removed an old and installed a new light fixture, painted a chalk wall, disassembled and removed our dearly loved coffee cabinet which we purchased from wal-mart when first married. It was broken down and about to collapse on a dear little one. We nailed the quarter round into the floor of the bedroom. (Finally! Yay!) Built the children a book shelf, toy bin, and removed a strange and out of place ceiling fan from the family room. I hung up some new owl art that I got from a friend... So much is going on.




For the party I decided that I wanted to serve real food. We eat real food, the girls prefer real food, so it seemed to be a logical decision. For our menu I chose the easiest real food options I could think of, that were still pleasing to our children.


*Turkey prepared two ways. One shall be deep fried in peanut oil and the other shall be baked in the oven, slathered in butter from grass fed cows and sea salt.
*Mashed potatoes, with butter, garlic and cream.
*Oven roasted asparagus with sea salt, cracked black pepper, olive oil and balsamic vinegar.


We will also have lots of fresh fruit, the girls are obsessed with fruit.


Michael and I are also baking their cake... We're making a rich chocolate cake layered with buttercream icing and strawberry puree. We practiced making small, normal sized, cakes but we must make a 1/2 sheet cake for the party. Did I mention that 27 people were coming? I almost want to run out my side door and run around my yard screaming "27 people are coming, 27 people are coming! ahhh!!!" I will refrain. 


I hope that everything comes together easily and happily. The turkey only needs tossed in the oven, most people eat turkey so dry they could pull a tooth out so I doubt anyone will notice how it turns out, but I have a feeling it will be good. The mashed potatoes can be made the night before and served in our borrowed buffet warming station. And the asparagus is so easy, it only roasts for 12 minutes... I see a recipe for winning all over...
Cake trial #2. Total fail.




There is a saying, "aim for the moon and even if you miss you'll land among the stars." I don't know who said that but it doesn't seem like that will be the case if I fail this food and house-keeping challenge. Fortunately, my last name is Flickinger, translated, "epic winner" from the original German.

1 comment: