Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Wild Berry Pie

Summer is a season to be enjoyed by all the senses. Its warm humid air, rain drops felt and thunderstorms seen and heard. I adore this season. A few weeks ago the littles and I picked wild blackberries from my parent's property. It was so much fun. They ate most of what they picked but my dad and I stayed the course and gathered without snacking! Here is a photo heavy post on the joys of summer and baking wild blackberry pie.

Step One: Pick and eat as many berries as you can before getting soaked in the rain!



"Cars!!! Rainin'!"

 

Step Two: Realize that you really didn't pick that many berries despite a good effort.
Step Three: Feed the beautiful children a home cooked dinner. This night was grass-fed beef with homemade tomato sauce and pasta. I think I should post a recipe.





Step Four: Make your pie crust... This is actually easy. The girls helped me make it. I don't have my own recipe for this, I follow this one for butter pie crust. It comes out very tasty. Store bought crusts are packed with garbage and never taste as good as one made at home. Chill it in the fridge while you put the kids to bed. 

Step Five: Preheat the oven to 375. Create a perfect filling for your pie. I added a small amount of sugar, the juice of half a lemon and 3 tablespoons of flour to thicken it up. I topped the filling with butter, of course. :) Follow your heart, taste as you go. Cooking is just an expression of your heart and mind at the time. I consulted Mario Batali for inspiration.

Plastic lemon cup was my rolling pin.
Step Six: Roll out the other half of your pie crust and cut into strips, then layer them on your pie like so.


Step Seven: Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar. An egg wash is just egg and water whisked together. 

Step Eight: Bake your beautiful creation for about an hour in your preheated oven. My pie was small, about 2/3 the size of a normal pie. It would take more like an hour and fifteen minutes for a full sized pie.

Enjoy the taste of summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment