For those of you familiar with "The Master Tonic" you know that it's a fiery blend designed to boost your immune system and circulation. For those who aren't already acquainted let me introduce you to its friendlier cousin, the master tonic soup.
It starts with fresh onions, garlic, ginger, hot peppers and of course, homemade bone broth. The result is a deeply nourishing soup to warm you up and give your immune system a little kick!
I've never been a stickler for ingredients or measurements. Use what you have available, taste as you go.
2 medium/large onions
4 cloves of garlic
1/4 head of cabbage
1 inch piece of minced ginger
1 red bell pepper
1 serrano chili
1 fish pepper
Fresh thai basil
1 tablespoon Thai roasted red chili paste
2 tablespoons red curry paste
3 tablespoons grass-fed ghee
Left over roasting chicken, chopped
2 cups bone broth
1 can coconut milk
1. Chop all vegetables into bite size pieces or mince as necessary for garlic and ginger.
2. Warm ghee in a large pot and season with Celtic salt. Add vegetables except the cabbage and basil and sauté over medium/high heat.
3. After the vegetables just begin to soften add your roasted chili paste and curry. Add the cabbage at this point.
4. Add as much chopped chicken you have from a previous meal or omit the meat altogether The broth itself is so satisfying you may find you don't miss the meat this time.
5. Once the vegetables are almost thoroughly cooked and look delicious add your broth and thai basil. I used about 2 cups of broth.
6. Add 1 can of coconut milk and let the vegetables and chicken simmer for a few minutes to marry. Add more salt to taste. (I love real salt!)
7. Serve over sprouted brown rice or your choice of starch. You'll probably need something to cool you down!
I made this meal for my husband recently when he came home over-worked and over-tired. He found it to be a very healing meal. I hope that the next time you're starting to feel run down you'll turn your kitchen instead of your medicine cabinet.
Part of and Thank Your Body Thursday!