Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Nourishing and Simple Bone Broth


Best crockpot ever. Circa 1979.
Many of the recipes that I share require homemade bone broth. This is not something that can be substituted with anything from a can or tetra pack. Real bone broth is a beautiful thing. It's packed with bioavailable minerals for strong bones, teeth and nails. Broth is also healing to the gut lining and because of the collagen and gelatin it supports your joints and reduces the appearance of cellulite! I am not making this stuff up. Bone broth is amazing. I have been experiencing it's benefits for months.

In our house you will almost always find a chicken carcass or two simmering away in my crock pot. This is a health food, comfort food, and nutritional supplement that everyone can appreciate. I do not season my broth or cook it with vegetables. I have done that and found that when I use only a few ingredients the broth tastes milder and has more uses.

Bone Broth
1 or 2 organic/pastured roasted chicken carcasses with the meat and skin removed.
A splash of apple cider vinegar. I use Braggs with "The Mother".
A generous pinch of Celtic sea salt. You can get it here Bulk Herb Store.

No need to be a perfectionist about getting skin and meat off.
1. Add the chicken bones to your crock pot.
2. Splash with vinegar.
3. Add your salt.
4. Cover with water.
5. Cook in low for 24/48 hours.
6. Allow to cool and store in mason jars in the fridge for 2 weeks or freeze for future use.

It really is this easy! If you add too much salt, you can dilute later, if not enough, add more. The vinegar helps to break down the bones and help you get all of the minerals. I have the measurements perfected by hand but my husband made the broth for me last week and added a lot of vinegar. I didn't even notice in the finished product. Lot of great recipes to follow using this broth! If you'd like more precise instructions check out the book Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon Morell. This recipe is from that wonderful book.
Cheers!


Part of Thank Your Body Thursday

1 comment:

  1. I'm such a fan of bone broth. It really is so easy and SO good!

    Thanks for linking up at Thank Your Body Thursday. Hope you'll come back tomorrow! www.thankyourbody.com

    ReplyDelete