Thursday, November 29, 2012

"No Poo Method" Week One

You're doing what?

I've started the no poo method and no, this has nothing to do with the toilet! Instead of washing my hair with traditional shampoo and conditioner I'll be using only vinegar and baking soda for three weeks. I've given friends and family fair warning that I may look and smell a little off over the next month.

According to conversations with others, the no poo method takes about 3 weeks for your hair to stop looking like an oil sick and begin to shine and flow beautifully. When we wash our hair with conventional shampoo it strips the hair dry,we then add conditioner to artificially coat our hair to make it smooth and voluminous. Presumably, this is hard on our hair while we also expose ourselves to various VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds) in the shampoo and conditioner from synthetic perfumes and chemicals. Oddly enough, those aren't the reasons I'm turning my head into a volcano science experiment.

Why am I choosing to ditch conventional hair products?

Over the last few months I have tried many shampoos and they have all been irritating my skin. One product caused my entire back to feel like it was on fire! Others have been giving me pimples on my scalp, disgusting! I could probably shell out some serious change for an organic, natural hair product, but I'm just not willing to waste money that could be spent on nourishing food, or something else on my hair. The cost of apple cider vinegar by the gallon is crazy cheap! So is baking soda in bulk. Plus, I can easily stock up on these supplies and not need to worry about getting to the store because I'm running out of expensive shampoo.

The method

I used two plastic mason jars, typically what I freeze bone broth in, and filled them with baking soda and apple cider vinegar (ACV). This week I am using Braggs Organic Raw ACV because its what I have on hand.

I wet my hair and rubbed the baking soda in to my scalp and my long hair. I then poured some of the ACV over my hair and made a volcano! Okay, not really, but I loved the fizzy feeling. Some days when I shower I rinse the baking soda first, then pour over the ACV. I think either is fine.

Make sure that all of the soda is out of your hair, but you don't need to rinse the ACV completely, though I have been.

The results
Date night hair!
Beautiful, clean, light, shiny hair! No lie! Maybe I am an exception but my hair has never looked or felt better. I'm also noticing that the breakout of my scalp is beginning to clear. I've been making my friends smell my hair and touch it, asking if it feels or smells funny, when they say no it looks great, I drop the bomb that I'm only washing with baking soda and ACV!

The challenge

I am inviting you to join me on my no poo challenge. Sign up for my updates and follow me on my hopefully clean journey to healthy, natural hair! If you decide to take part, post in the comments and let me know how its going! Also, send me photos of your beautiful or greasy hair and I'll include your photo and progress on my blog. mrsflickinger at gmail dot com.











And a part of Thank Your Body ThursdayNatural Mother's Network Seasonal Celebration

12 comments:

  1. So HOW bad were the three weeks before it looked nice? Cause I like the premise, but I can't go to work looking like an oil slick haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is week ONE, my hair has looked great from the first try. That photo is from day 7. I need a close up, but that will be for next week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck! I did no 'poo for several months last year, but finally caved and started using a homemade shampoo. With my hard water it just didn't work. But someday when we move into a home we will get a water softener and try again. ;)

    Thanks for linking up to Thank Your Body Thursday! Hope you'll come back this week and share some more great posts! www.thankyourbody.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Robin, How does hard water interfere with the no poo method? Just curious, I've been contemplating the "no poo" method and we have very hard water.
      ~Jamie

      Delete
    2. Minerals in hardwater build up in hair even when using conventional products but when using just baking soda, it has a tendency to allow for greater build up, as far as I know. I'm working through that right now. One solution is to use distilled or boiled water which has the minerals removed. Thanks for commenting! I think its always worth giving the method a try. Each person's hair and scalp seem to have different outcomes.

      Delete
  4. I have hair that is long - about half-way down my back and tried the no-poo method last year. I made it through about 3 days before I had to cave, not because it looked oily (I only wash my hair every other day or every 3rd day anyway so it takes that long before it looks dirty normally) but my hair got SO badly tangled that I almost had to cut a chunk out to get it brushed! It was awful. I might try again sometime but be aware that it might cause troubles with brushing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tillie, try using just vinegar. I have tried so many no-poo methods (including this popular baking soda and vinegar one) and my hair always become super-tangled. I was pulling clumps out every time I brushed it. I heard about washing with vinegar and, while it's only been a couple weeks, my hair is so soft and silky, better than it ever was with regular shampoo!

      Delete
    2. Yes! That's great Lydia. Definitely try just vinegar. My hair is midway down my back and the vinegar leaves it feeling soft and it's as tangle free as it would be with any conditioner I've used in the past.

      Delete
  5. Hi Lydia! I'm giving this a go, I would really like to stop using shampoo for the reasons you describe! I think our readers would really enjoy reading this. I would love for you to come share it at Seasonal Celebration I really hope that you will put Seasonal Celebration on your list of carnivals to visit and link to us every Wednesday!
    http://naturalmothersnetwork.com/
    Rebecca x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rebecca! I'll pop over and check it out. :) Let me know how "the method" works for you.

      Delete
  6. Lydia, my hair feels so much better- I'm a convert already and am just delighted at how much money this will save too. Goodbye Pantene- hello ACV! Thank you so much for sharing this with us at Seasonal Celebration! Rebecca x

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's great! I was starting to lose faith mid last week but after a few baking soda only scrubs I'm a believer again. :) Oh and it's Jen not Lydia, I think I need to change my account so it says my name instead of just "Mommy Flick"

    ReplyDelete